November 3, 2016Her job: Dr; University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Describe what you do in your current work situation?
- Give lectures and supervise projects of both undergraduate and postgraduate students in civil engineering courses;
- Conduct researches and participate in community service.
Why did you choose engineering?
- To contribute to solving problems of public infrastructural decadence in my country.
- To inspire young girls
Where did you go to school and what degree(s) do you have?
- University of Lagos, Nigeria - B.Sc. (Civil Engineering)
- University of Ibadan, Nigeria - M.Sc. (Industrial Engineering), Ph.D. (Civil Engineering)
What kinds of activities have typically been part of your work?
- Teaching and conducting researches in areas of interest.
- Academic counselling
What do you like best about being an engineer?
The ability to solve problems.
Which of your career accomplishments are you proudest of?
- Ability to impact knowledge to my students
- Translation of my designs to physical models
What challenges have you met and conquered in your pursuit of an engineering career?
The challenge of relating effectively with different cadres in the engineering team. Having to show respect for all and realizing that engineering is a team work greatly assisted me in conquering this challenge.
Please tell us a little about your family.
Blessed with a happy family.
What are your short-term (1-2 years) and long-term (10+ years) goals?
Short-term goals: Get more involved in inspiring young girls into STEM.
Long-term goals: Attain competence in my professional and other pursuits of life.
What (or who) had/has the greatest influence on your life choices?
- God, Who is the first Engineer
- My late Dad, who greatly encouraged me in the pursuit of STEM
- My Dad's late friend, who actually encouraged me to choose civil engineering.
What advice would you give to a young woman considering a career in engineering?
Go for it!
Describe something about your life outside of work: your hobbies, or perhaps a favorite book.
Love to sing, read, and study nature.