My name is Adriana Garcia, and my profession is Electrical Engineer, Power Systems .. I graduated 20 years ago in Venezuela, and since then I have worked in Distribution Systems of Electric Power. I have two daughters, and when they were small, I worked as a university instructor (Physics and Electrical Networks) and I did a Master in Management and a Masters in Electrical Engineering. Today, I work on my own as a consultant for electric power quality. Study and work has been somewhat easy for me, compared to how hard it has been to learn to find balance and harmony between my professional life and my personal life. In my country, it is not common for women to study electrical engineering, there is discrimination towards women in homes, schools and jobs, so there are many external and internal cultural barriers to overcome. When I found this group, I felt happy to know that there are many women like me, and I felt happy to read their stories. In the future I would like to live and work in a country with fewer cultural barriers to women. However, I am aware that the main barrier is internal, so I would also like to help other women overcome their internal obstacles and give them tools to achieve their goals in life.
• Master of Electrical Engineering, UC (2006 - 2011)
• Master of Management and Information Technology, UJAP (2002-2005)
• Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering with a Concentraion in Power Systems IUPFAN (1990-1994)
- I am willing to be contacted by educators for possible speaking engagements in schools or in after school programs or summer camps.
- I am willing to serve as a sponsor or coach for an engineering club or team.
- I am willing to serve as science fair judge or other temporary volunteer at a local school.
- I am willing to host a field trip to my place of employment.
- I am willing to be contacted about potential job shadowing by interested students.
- I am willing to be interviewed by interested students via email.