Difference between an engineering degree and an engineering license

If I graduate with a degree in engineering, does that mean I also have an engineering license to work professionally as an engineer?
posted by Christine, San Diego on March 1, 2014

Answer by Stephanie E Lewis

Upon graduation or around the time prior to graduation, you will have an option to take a "FE" or "EIT" (name depends on your state licesning board) exam. This will provide a certification as an Engineer in Training. After about 4 years of professional experience under a licensed PE (Professional Engineer), you will then take another exam, the PE. Again, different states have different procedures and guidelines. With a PE, you will be considered a licensed and professional engineer.