Who Can Enter?
The contest is open to individual girls and boys in each of three categories (Choose your category by grade-level unless you are unsure of your grade):
- 3rd grade to 5th grade (Ages 8-11)
- 6th grade to 8th grade (Ages 12-14)
- 9th grade to 12th grade (Ages 15-18)
If you are a prior winner and have received a cash prize from EngineerGirl! in any of the above grade categories, you may not enter again in the same age group.
How Do I Enter?
Submit an essay that meets the requirements of the Contest Description
through our Online Submission Form
When Is the Deadline?
Entries must be received by 6:00 p.m. (EST) on March 1, 2014.
What Are the Awards?
All winning entries will be published on the EngineerGirl! website. (Please review our publication agreement
before you submit your essay. All finalists
will be asked to fill out and return the publication agreement in order to advance to the final round of judging.
Winners will receive the prizes listed below:
- First-place winners will be awarded $500.
- Second-place entries will be awarded $250.
- Third-place entries will be awarded $100.
- Honorable Mention entries will not receive a cash award but will be published on the EngineerGirl! website.
- Essays will be judged on the basis of content, research, expression, and originality. You may wish to preview the 2014 Contest Scorecord.
- All essays must be the original work of the author submitting the entry and must not have been published anywhere else.
- A contestant may enter only one essay.
- No contestant may win more than once in a single age category.
- All entries will be read by a panel of judges, whose selections will be final.
- Management, employees and families of the National Academy of Engineering (NAE) are prohibited from winning any prizes offered by EngineerGirl.
- Entry in the contest grants the NAE non-exclusive rights to publish winning essays in full or in part on the EngineerGirl website. (publication agreement)
- Entries must be submitted using the Online Submission Form.
- If you have a question about the contest rules, please see our Contest Questions and Answers Page.